Anyone who knows me from the boards, knows I am a sap. I cry at the drop of pin.....I have been known to go on a crying jag just watching a cat food commercial. It must come from my maternal grandmother. My mother told me that during the Depression, there was no heat in movie theaters. Patrons had to wear their coats to stay warm. My grandmother had a coat with a huge fur collar and would come out of the theater with the fur all wet on both sides from her wiping her tears!
I received an email from my brother and it would seem he inherited the same sap gene!!
A bit of background, so the email makes sense. He was perusing eBay for old Dick and Jane type reading books. He needs illustrations from that era as inspiration for some new job of his. He is a free-lance artist. In the email he mentions "Would You Rather be a Colonel with an Eagle on Your Shoulder or a Private with a Chicken on Your Knee." That is an old record we have that is played on a Victrola (belonged to my sappy grandmother mentioned above). This record is SOOOO scratchy that the song is almost inaudible......but it's from WWI so I guess we can't complain. I hope I haven't confused anyone too much....here is Jared's email:
Speaking of e-bay . . .
One of my fondest things that remind me
of dad is that old Jackie Gleason 4 song
instrumental record of his.
I love that music. Trouble is it is in the worst
condition of any record I've ever heard.
"Would you rather be a Colonel with an Eagle
on your Shoulder or a Private with a Chicken
on your Knee" sounds like a remastered new
release compared to this gray disc of gouges
that I put on my ancient turntable.
So I says to myself, E-Bay?
Lo & behold, I found a copy in better condition.
$5. Cool. Then for the hell of it, I says to myself,
Maybe can I find one in better condition?
Wow, I found a freakin' CD! Amazing.
I cried like a baby.
Now that I have typed this out and copied and pasted, I don't know why I felt as though I had to blog about this! I guess it just surprises me that Jared still misses our dad as much as I do......even after 28 years.
No comments:
Post a Comment