Proud mommy moments this morning. Brody's Sunday School group painted flower pots and potted hyacinths in them. They were each given the names and addresses of two elderly shut-ins from our church. Brody delivered them and the ladies were just thrilled with him and the flower!! Afterwards, he said, "Man, that felt good to do that!"
On the first Sunday of Lent, the kids in our church are given cardboard collection boxes for "One Great Hour of Sharing", to collect for the needy. Marna asked Mike for her allowance this morning before church and said she would like it in change, if we had it. When I asked why, she said she wanted to put all of her allowance in her collection box.
All church stories today.....well, it is Sunday! LOL I am on the board of Deacons at our church and every Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter we collect food and give it to needy families in the area. Mike and I volunteered to deliver collected food and an Easter ham to a family this morning. I knew it was going to be bad, but I had no idea......I was in shock at this run-down home. I felt good to be helping them with food, but I wish it were more.
It made me keenly aware of all I take for granted. Luckily, I have always lived a very comfortable life and have no first-hand knowledge of what true poverty is. This home was a reality smack in the face for me!! I vowed the moment we walked in the door, to make a conscious effort to NEVER take for granted what we have.....to be thankful for not being dealt a different hand of fate. I will be praying that life will suddenly be kinder to this particular family and that their wallets will soon be as full as their hearts.
No comments:
Post a Comment